Lifeguard Certification Course
To enroll in the Lifeguarding course, you must be at least 15 years of age before the last scheduled class session. To participate in the Lifeguarding course, you must be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Swim 300 yards continuously, using these strokes in the following order:
- 100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing with your face in the water and a stabilizing, propellant kick. Rhythmic breathing can be performed either by breathing to the side or to the front.
- 100 yards of breaststroke using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence.
- 100 yards of either the front crawl or breaststroke. The 100 yards may be a combination of front crawl and breaststroke.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7–10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with both hands on the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
The skills evaluation will occur on the first day of the course. Please bring a swimsuit and towel for the skills evaluation and for every class.
Contact the Fitness & Sports Office to register.
|Friday, April 19||2-4 p.m. - pre-req swim|
|Saturday, April 20||9 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Monday, April 21||9 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Tuesday, April 22||9 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Wednesday, April 23||9 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Thursday, April 24||9 a.m. - 4 p.m.|